Business » Fast Facts for Business
Fountain Square is the oldest commercial Historic District (designated in 1982) in the state of Indiana and a thriving, revitalized neighborhood attracting savvy young professionals, government employees, families, artists and musicians, with great potential for additional retail development.
Fountain Square is less than five minutes southeast of downtown Indianapolis along Virginia Avenue.
- Three of Indianapolis' largest and most influential employers, Wellpoint, Eli Lilly & Company and Indiana Farm Bureau, have their offices within walking distance of Fountain Square.
- Superior access to I-65 and I-70.
- Traffic counts at East Street and Virginia Avenue, the major gateway into the area, average more than 19,500 a day.
Fountain Square By The Numbers (Five-Mile Radius)
- 15,500 businesses
- 290,000 employees
- Population (2002): 260,000
- Households: 105,000
- Some college education or higher: 42.8%
- Household income over $50K: 27%
A host of edgy, independent retailers, restaurateurs, art galleries and businesses, including:
- Arthur's Music
- The Fountain Square Theatre
- Murphy Arts Center
- Radio Radio
- Santorini Greek Kitchen
- Wheeler Arts Community
Fountain Square attracts visitors from across the area for:
- Lunch and dinner
- Entertainment and nightlife
- Art galleries
- One-of-a-kind events (Masterpiece in a Day, and others)
- First Friday and Third Friday events
What's Happening Here
Fountain Square's active retail, restaurant and nightlife scenes are growing and attracting thousands of new visitors each year.
- Facade Grants are available to help business owners improve the exterior of their building.
- Fountain Square's Streetscape program, valued at more than $1 million, has created a more pedestrian-friendly retail district with improved traffic patterns.
A variety of outstanding properties are available for sale or lease along Virginia Avenue, Fountain Square's main retail strip and its artery to downtown Indianapolis, East Prospect Street, South Shelby Street, and other prime Fountain Square locations.